Most of the SMBs we work with have two main objectives: Financial stability and growth. And like any organization, the collective, coordinated efforts of its employees are the key factor in achieving them.
We often talk about talent management as an organizational process designed to attract, manage, develop, motivate and retain key people in order to create a high-performance, sustainable organization that meets its business targets. At Avilar, we think this is too important to be left to the big guys. In fact based on our experiences, we’re guessing that your talent needs are quite similar to those of larger organizations.
- You need to find and hire the right people in the first place. Finding the right fit is often a challenge for untrained managers who base hiring decisions on “gut feel.”
- You need to manage the performance of employees so their efforts are aligned with your mission, strategy and goals, and so that you can move or remove the people who aren’t pulling their weight.
- You need to train and develop your people so their skills remain up-to-date.
- You need to keep people engaged and committed so that you retain the best.
- You need ways to make sure your business is sustainable through change and growth.
In the coming weeks, we’ll explore each of these talent areas in a bit more detail.
Meanwhile, what talent issues are keeping you up at night?